Home Forums Noticings… 200305 – Labyrinths

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

March 5, 2020

I love walking a labyrinth. It’s one of my very favourite spiritual practices. I don’t get to do it nearly often enough for my liking – which is why I’m so happy to have the opportunity to walk one all through Lent this year. For the next few weeks we have use of our Region’s canvas labyrinth. It will be laid out on the floor of the sanctuary as often as possible, and you are invited to pop by and walk it whenever you wish over the next while (but you may want to call first to make sure it’s set up).

Why do I love labyrinths so much? I’m glad you asked! I love that it’s a form of prayerful contemplation that involves movement. I love that the path is meant to represent our journey toward the heart of God, or awareness of God’s Presence. I love that you can never take a wrong turn. I love that that path twists and turns and is never just a straight line to enlightenment. I love that at times the path takes you very near the centre and the next thing you know you’re on the outskirts again, and then when it feels like you’ll never find the centre suddenly with a couple of turns you’re right there. I love that you can’t stay in the centre forever; that you need to return to the day to day world – but that you get to take your wisdom with you. I love that the journey out always feels energized and spirit-filled to me.

My favourite way to walk a labyrinth is alone! (Yes, that’s selfish, but so be it.) Sharing the path can be lovely too – although if too many are on at once you’re constantly being jostled off the path. Maybe that’s a more accurate representation of the spiritual life! I’ve walked labyrinths slowly and quickly – taking in a word or question, and taking in an openness to receive one – listening to music and in silence. I’ve walked grass labyrinths, sandy labyrinths, paved labyrinths, and canvas labyrinths – 5 circuit, 7 circuit, 9 circuit – Chartres style, modern style, my favourite is the Gossembrot design but I’ve never been able to find one to walk – whatever the form they’re all beautifully unique experiences, and they’re all the same in some ways too. I’ve never had a labyrinth experience that didn’t give me a deeper insight, or discernment, or encouragement about my faith or my life.

Like I said, I’m really glad we get the use of one for the next few weeks, and I’m walking it as often as I can while we have it. I realize this hasn’t been a very deep theological reflection – labyrinth time is pretty personal for me. But I wanted to write about us having one, and invite you to come and experience it. About the only rule is that you have to take off your shoes – apart from that you can walk it in whatever way feels right to you. If you’re looking for me you’ll know where to find me! To everything turn, turn, turn…

Crockpot Dinner ~ Tues. March 17th @ 5 PM

Join us for our Crockpot (Irish themed) Dinner. No prior registration or tickets required. Pay what you can. Join us for delicious food for a great cause!

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)
    Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.