Home Forums Noticings… 200212 – Heart Music

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

February 12, 2020

What a delightful evening it was. Music resounded through the sanctuary and the people swayed, and clapped, and smiled, and sang. And most importantly, God was praised and God’s presence was amplified. It was our third annual “United In Praise” concert featuring praise bands from 5 area United Churches and a 6th group from various churches.

If you hear the words “praise and worship music” and instantly have a particular (possibly negative) opinion about what that sounds like, well, you should have been at the concert. The watchword of the night was variety. Six different groups played, and there were six different genres of praise music offered. It wasn’t diverse in the sense of there being world music, or ethnically derived music – but it was certainly not just one sound. There were vocal groups, there were folky groups, there were classic praise bands, there were modern praise bands, and there was even some bluegrass-esque music.

Here’s what I noticed. The audience responded in different ways to the different groups. You could see it on their faces. There was general delight in all the offerings, and I didn’t see any turned-up noses at any genre of music heard that night. But you could also see, at various times, different people in the audience light up at different times. For some it was singing an old-time classic with a new beat. For some it was responding to the energy of a band. For some it was hearing great harmonies sung. For some it was enjoying a certain style. There’s a term for this: it’s called “heart music”. We all have an appreciation for a variety of styles of music, but usually there are certain styles that resonate so much more deeply within us, and move our spirits, and bring us great delight. That’s our heart music. It doesn’t mean we don’t like other musics – it just means certain sounds reach deeper into our beings and fill us with joy and peace in a unique way.

That was the best thing I noticed last Saturday night. At some point in the evening, just about everyone in that room had their spirits lifted and their beings filled with heart music. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to music. Thank God! God clearly loves diversity! Some sounds just aren’t my cup of tea (or yours), but when my heart music resounds I come alive and feel God’s presence in deep and wondrous ways. That is music’s great power! And that is why that evening of praise music, faithfully and joyously offered, is such a gift. (Raising $1200 for the Mission and Service Fund is a happy bonus!) Next year it looks like the concert will be in Brooklin. I hope you’ll come! Until then, may your heart music be often in your ears!

Transgender 101 ~ Tonight @ 7 PM

As part of our ongoing journey of inclusivity, Faith United is pleased to welcome special guest, Ruth Wood. She will be coming with her wife to talk about their journey together as they lived through her transition.

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)
    Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.