Home Forums Noticings… 200122 – A Rule of Life

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

January 22, 2020

This Saturday morning (January 25) from 9:30 to 11:30 am I’ll be offering a workshop at Faith United called “A Rule of Life”.  The description for it reads: “As New Year’s resolutions beckon this workshop will look at how to develop a ‘rule of life’ – a concept that seeks to balance and guide your spirituality in addition to your physical, work, and relational life.  It’s a ‘big picture’ approach, and a great way to start a new year!”

Some people are, understandably, put off by the ‘rule’ language. It’s not meant to indicate rigidity or strictness. It’s more about being ‘regular’ and intentional, as in having some order and organization. It’s also not just about selecting from a menu of spiritual practices and committing to executing them according to a schedule. It’s much more holistic and organic than that. I think the best way to say it is that a rule of life isn’t so much about ‘practicing your faith’ as it’s about ‘faithing your practice’!

For example, because I’ve been immersed in thinking about my planning for the workshop I’ve become more attuned to this ‘faithing my practice’ thing. Yesterday I took my dog for a walk at lunchtime and as I strolled I became particularly aware of how beautiful the day was. I breathed in the cool air. I saw the snow glistening. I noticed the stillness. A reminder alarm on my phone buzzed – it was my reminder to pray at noon (a spiritual practice I keep). But instead of waiting until I got back to the church to find a quiet corner so I could pray, I found myself praying as I walked. Prayers of gratitude for the day, my health, my blessings, my passions, prayers for strength for my challenges, prayers for openness and possibility – all of it just came tumbling out effortlessly. My heart was filled and soaring. It was the richest prayer experience I’ve had in quite some time. I wasn’t practicing my faith in a formal way – I had, instead, ‘faithed’ my practice, my walk.

A ‘rule of life’ helps us be intentional about the various aspects of our lives and think about how we can ‘faith our practice’ as we live. It also creates a sense of accountability to help keep us ‘regular’ – because I don’t know about you but if I don’t have a little accountability like that I tend to drift away from my best intentions. So, if any of this sounds intriguing to you I invite you to join us on Saturday morning. And now I think I’ll go for a walk!

United In Praise Concert~Sat. February 8th @ 7PM

Enjoy an evening of traditional and contemporary praise music at Westminster UC (1850 Rossland Rd. E. Whitby). Featuring praise bands from Brooklin, Faith, Kingsview, Newcastle, & Westminster Churches, and Spirit.Calm. Free will offering to the M&S Fund.

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)
    Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.