Home Forums Noticings… 191002 – Raising Awareness

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

October 2, 2019

Monday was Orange Shirt Day. Thursdays in black. Friday is red. Pink in February. Green in April. Rainbow in June. Do you know what they all mean? ‘Every child matters’ is the slogan for Orange Shirt Day to raise awareness about the horrible legacy of the residential school system. ‘Thursdays in Black’ is for raising awareness of the prevalence of rape and violence against women. For teachers Fridays are ‘red for ed’ days to raise awareness about education issues. In February we have Pink Shirt Day for anti-bullying. Green Shirt Day is in April for organ donation in the wake of the Humboldt tragedy. Rainbow clothing is in June for Pride month. In each case the goal of wearing the colours is to build momentum and support, to gain attention for communicating about an issue that is important to those who wear the colours, and also to educate and raise awareness in those who aren’t wearing them.

September is Terry Fox Run time. Rain postponed the run at my wife’s school so they were having it this morning. I happened to drive by while it was going on. On the field and around the running track there were lots of students moving about energetically, having fun, doing their thing. I’m not sure how deeply they were thinking about raising money for cancer research, but at least they were out there doing it. I also couldn’t help but notice the students who were walking away from the school. No classes meant an easy opportunity to skip out. Perhaps they contributed monetarily to the cause, I can’t know that. But their hearts certainly weren’t in the spirit of it. Not only wasn’t awareness raised, it was purposely rejected. Such is the challenge of awareness raising – it has to fight against our natural instinct to shrug. People are far more likely to don a colour for an issue that affects them personally. Although, I suspect if we all dug a little deeper we’d realize we do know people who are affected by any given issue.

I wonder if I should start a shirt colour day for church? (It’ll never happen because we’d have to strike a committee to decide on the colour and that would take forever!) I’m kidding of course, but isn’t our entire purpose as people of faith about raising awareness? “Surely God is in this place. Help me notice.” Isn’t noticing just another way to say awareness? And the better we do at noticing, at becoming aware of God’s Presence and the sacredness and interconnectedness of everything and everyone, the better we’d do at quieting our self-absorbed shrugs and honouring the issues raised by our shirt-wearing neighbours – because they aren’t just their issues. They’re ours too; because we are one body – one body that wears colourful shirts.

Family Movie Night ~ Fri. October 4th @ 6PM

There’s lots of room to sit back and relax with your kids and friends. We’ve got popcorn, water and juice. We will be watching Hotel Transylvania 2 (for the younger audience) and Return to HalloweenTown for older children.
    Admission: Free Will Offering.

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.