Home Forums Noticings… 190918 – Life Happens

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

September 18, 2019

Our creamsicle died this week. That’s the nickname we gave to our bright orange car. It has been a good and reliable friend for 12 years. But, alas, its time has come. Life happens. Our daughter was driving it on the 401 at the moment of its tragic demise. She pulled off to the shoulder and did exactly what you’d expect. She called Dad. Dad came running, couldn’t magically fix it, so what did Dad do? Dad called a tow truck, and it came running. That got me thinking. We live in a society in which when you need something you can just pick up your phone and get it. We’re very fortunate to live in an area where everything we could possibly need is just a phone call away. At the church we needed the back porch renovated. Who you gonna call? The porch guys. We needed the kitchen cleaned. Who you gonna call? The kitchen cleaning service. My eavestroughs are clogged. My fence is sagging. I need some gravel. Help is just a phone call away.

Many things we can do on our own. Some task needs doing and we look around and figure we have the knowhow so we go ahead and solve our own problem. That’s great. But some things we can’t do on our own. Sometimes we need help. Sometimes we have to admit that it’s beyond us. Sometimes that’s really easy to do. Sometimes that’s really hard.

But then when we do realize we need some help we have to know who to call. Folks in my generation and younger tend to turn to the internet. We do our research and read reviews and make our choices. Some folks rely on the recommendation of a friend. My daughter didn’t hesitate at the roadside. She knew exactly who to call. It was automatic, because it was built on a deep relationship.

So what do we do when we’re feeling a spiritual twinge and we have an issue to work through, or a problem to solve, or a path to discern? We can try the internet. There are endless options and millions of armchair theologians and gurus to choose from. It’s probably better to ask a friend and get a recommendation from them. You know you can trust their judgment, and you know they have your best interests at heart.

But obviously the best option is to connect with the deep relationship you have – with Jesus, with your church family, maybe with your minister. And if you don’t have that relationship maybe a friend can recommend a church for you, or you could look one (us!) up on the internet! Faith may not be able to solve your issue like a service call, but it certainly helps to know you are not alone on the journey. And hopefully you won’t wait until your ‘car’ has broken down on the side of the highway!

Life happens. It always does. Who you gonna call?
    Psalm 121:1-2 “I lift up my eyes to the hills – from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord.”

“Giving In Faith” Fall Stewardship at Faith United

Our stewardship process has begun for the month of September and October. Have you received an invitation to coffee? We would like to see all of our congregational family at a coffee party hosted in homes around our area. Your church friends and neighbours have generously offered their homes for this occasion. The invitation calls, to each family, will be happening between September 4 and September 20. There will be many inviting choices of dates and times. We look forward to seeing you.

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.