Home Forums Noticings… 190904 – New Year, New Practices

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

September 4, 2019

Well, a new year has started (September always feels more like the beginning of a new year to me than January does) so it’s time to get back to a fuller calendar and figuring out how to embrace our autumn rhythms again after a summer of rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation (hopefully). Summer rhythms are really enjoyable, but they’re really hard to bring into the busyness of the fall. I’d like to tell you about a new rhythm I started in the summer that I’m trying to practice going forward.

I’ve had a book on my desk for a couple of years that I’ve always wanted to dive into but never really found a way in. It was a gift, and I’ve felt bad for not enjoying it, but it just hadn’t clicked yet. The problem was never with the book; it was me. I hadn’t made the time for it. It’s a book called Psalms for All Seasons. It goes through all 150 psalms and for each one adds hymns, responses, and writings based on each psalm. I’ve committed myself to doing a psalm a day at work. As soon as I arrive at the church each weekday I make some coffee and play fetch with Billie for a few minutes, and then I take this beautifully creative psalter and walk down the hall to a quiet place away from my desk, and pray with it. I’ve been very good about maintaining this new rhythm. This morning I did Psalm 6! (Ok, I’m just getting started!)

Interestingly, and perhaps unsurprisingly, the hardest part of doing this was carving out the time to take that walk down the hall. The material I’m praying with is great. But it was always great. That didn’t change. I had to. I had to commit to that walk down the hall. It sounds pretty simple, right? I walk down that hall several times a day. But doing it for that purpose, where I’d have to actually stop being about the busyness of my tasks for 10 or 15 whole minutes, well that is much harder than it sounds.

What have I discovered? Already I’m feeling different about how I start my work day. Already I’m noticing that when I return to my desk I’m actually present, and a bit more grounded. I don’t think this particular book of psalms is magic. I think the magic is that I finally took that long walk down the hall. Spiritual practices are very personal. What works for one person may not work for another. Some like printed prayers, others like music, some covet pure silence, everyone is different. I don’t know what to recommend to you, but I’d be happy to chat about it if you’d like. What I absolutely will recommend is that you prayerfully wonder whether you might be able to find 10 minutes each day for something intentional and spiritual. And then take that walk down the hall. The hardest part isn’t finding the material – it’s taking that first step. What would help you to take that walk?

Upcoming Events!

Joyful Noise Returns – Sun. Sept 8th at 10:30 AM – We kick off a new year of Joyful Noise – our children’s ministry.

Tots on Tuesday Returns Sept 10th at 10 AM – If you have a child under 5 years old, you are most welcome on Tuesday mornings from 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Please come and join us for conversation, fun, games, songs, snacks and crafts.

Family Movie Night – Fri. Sept 13th at 6 PM– There’s lots of room to sit back and relax with your kids and friends. We’ve got popcorn, water and juice. We will be watching The Secret Life of Pets 2 (for the younger audience) and part 1 of Into The Spider-Verse for older children. This is a free-will offering event.

Sunday Night Worship Returns – Sept 15th at 7:15 PM – Know someone who can’t make Sunday mornings or prefers more contemporary music? Tell them about our night worship service featuring all praise & worship music, and the same sermon and prayers as the morning.

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.