Home Forums Noticings… 190828 – Decluttering

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

August 28, 2019

Somewhere along the way, I’m not sure how it happened, but our basement became a dumping ground for furniture, boxes, and stuff upon stuff. I suspect it had a lot to do with kids coming and going from university, and setting up apartments, and all that entails, but to be fair it certainly wasn’t just them. We simply allowed ourselves to become cluttered. We didn’t choose it, but it certainly happened. So my holidays last week were largely devoted to decluttering.

It wasn’t supposed to be that. It started innocently enough. “I just want to move this one little thing,” she said. We had put an old couch and chair to the curb and in the suddenly available space we wanted to shift something. As you can guess, it went from “one little thing” to another, and another, and then a total rethink of how the basement should be organized. We had a new vision – and that new vision needed to be worked on. I tried snapping my fingers but it just wouldn’t do it on its own!

I know you know this: the moment you begin a project like this everything actually becomes a bigger mess than when you started as stuff gets dislodged from where it was and needs to be temporarily put “over there” until we’re ready to put it in place. Many things went to the curb. More will as we go. Now we get to live in the messiness as it gradually gets better and takes shape, but the promise of a better vision propels you onward. In time the new vision will be a reality and we’ll really enjoy it.

That’s kind of how it is if we allow the Holy Spirit to help us with some decluttering of our souls. We don’t know how it happened. It probably crept up on us over time. But the there’s no denying that our inner basements are quite likely cluttered with all manner of crud. We know we ought to do something about it. So we find ourselves in prayer, and with a mischievous grin God says, “I just want to move this one little thing!”

Next thing you know: chaos! As you get into your inner transformation you accept that some things will need to be rearranged, and some things will need to be kicked to the curb, and that you need to learn to live in the messiness as it gradually gets better and takes shape. And we know that the process will take a lot of work, and it will likely be a bit painful. Thankfully, the work is not ours alone. We strive in cooperation with the Holy Spirit. We wish we could snap our fingers and we’d be transformed, fully mature followers of Jesus. Of course, it doesn’t work that way. Our cluttering took time, and our decluttering will take time too. But the promise of a better vision propels us onward. In time the new vision will be a reality and we’ll really enjoy it. And until then we learn to tiptoe through the mess. It helps to remember that we are all works in progress!
    Philippians 1:6 “I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ.”

Upcoming Events!

Joyful Noise Returns – Sun. Sept 8th at 10:30 AM – We kick off a new year of Joyful Noise – our children’s ministry.

Tots on Tuesday Returns Sept 10th at 10 AM – If you have a child under 5 years old, you are most welcome on Tuesday mornings from 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM. Please come and join us for conversation, fun, games, songs, snacks and crafts.

Family Movie Night – Fri. Sept 13th at 6 PM– There’s lots of room to sit back and relax with your kids and friends. We’ve got popcorn, water and juice. We will be watching The Secret Life of Pets 2 (for the younger audience) and part 1 of Into The Spider-Verse for older children. This is a free-will offering event.

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.