Home Forums Noticings… 190619 – Pray As You Go

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

June 19, 2019

This Sunday I’ll be preaching about silence and about prayer. One thing I won’t have a lot of time to do during that sermon is to tell you about some practical tools you can use to pray when you’re not at church.

Our tradition is steeped in words. So. Many. Words! And when it comes to praying our approach naturally defaults to finding the right words, the spiritual words, the worthy words, and when we can’t quite find them many of us just give up. Prayer seems hard that way. But it shouldn’t be. It should be as easy as breathing! Silence is a spiritual practice that all of us can benefit from, but because it’s so far from our wordy comfort zone it may seem like a long and arduous journey to get there. So I’d like to offer you something for the journey.

Last week in Noticings (in the bottom right corner) I quietly introduced a link to an online prayer tool called “Pray As You Go.” It’s one of my favourites! It comes from a group of Jesuits in Britain. I’ll let them describe it in their own words:

Pray As You Go is a daily prayer session, designed to go with you wherever you go, to help you pray whenever you find time, but particularly whilst travelling to and from work, study, etc.
    A new prayer session is produced every day of the working week and one session for the weekend. It is not a ‘Thought for the Day’, a sermon or a bible-study, but rather a framework for your own prayer.
    Lasting between ten and thirteen minutes, it combines music, scripture and some questions for reflection.
    Our aim is to help you to:

• become more aware of God’s presence in your life
    • listen to and reflect on God’s word
    • grow in your relationship with God

The style of prayer is based on Ignatian Spirituality. It is produced by Jesuit Media Initiatives, with material written by a number of Jesuits, both in Britain and further afield, and other experts in the spirituality of St Ignatius of Loyola. Although the content is different every day, it keeps to the same basic format.

They will provide the music, the scripture, and the guided meditation. All you have to provide is the silence, and a receptive spirit – and then just breathe. I pray that this will be a helpful tool to lead you into cultivating quietness, prayerfulness, and spiritual reflection. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.