Home Forums Noticings… 190501 – Sacred Moments

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

May 1, 2019

I’m currently away at my annual men’s spirituality retreat. This year we’re at a fantastic retreat centre on Stony Lake. It’s a warm and rich gathering of 14 men, most of whom are also clergy, who get together to talk, listen, drum, sing, and breathe. It’s one of my favourite times of year, and partly that’s because I get to just be.

Yesterday morning, just before breakfast, I was standing alone outside gazing at the lake and drinking coffee. One of the guys, who also happens to be a musician, approached me and asked me if I’d heard of a Bruce Cockburn song called “Mystery.” I had not. But thanks to modern technology and wifi I was able to open my phone and instantly search for and stream the song.

So the two of us stood there by the lake, listening to Bruce Cockburn sing an amazing song about the mystery of God’s Holy Presence. (If you didn’t know it, Bruce is a deeply spiritual Christian.) It was truly a holy and sacred moment. It was like he wrote it for that moment, and was singing it just for us.

Here are a few of the verses of the song:

You can’t tell me there’s no mystery
                Mystery, Mystery
                You can’t tell me there’s no mystery
                It’s everywhere I turn

Infinity always gives me vertigo
                Vertigo, Vertigo
                Infinity always gives me vertigo
                And fills me up with grace

This feast of beauty can intoxicate
                Intoxicate, Intoxicate
                This feast of beauty can intoxicate
                Just like the finest wine

So all you stumblers who believe love rules
                Believe love rules, Believe love rules
                Come all you stumblers who believe love rules
                Stand up and let it shine
                Stand up and let it shine

Surely, God was in that place. I noticed!

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.