Home Forums Noticings… 190403 – Singing A New Song

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

April 3, 2019

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been feeling the mid-Lent doldrums lately. It’s that lethargic kind of feeling where you know you’re over the half-way point of something but you come to the realization that there’s still a long way to go. I’m sure that last(?) little dose of winter we had on the weekend didn’t help – yet another reminder that it’s not Spring quite yet, which means it’s not Easter quite yet, which means we’re still in Lent. Don’t get me wrong; I love Lent! I really do. I love the themes, and the richness, and the chewy theology we get to do. I love the introspection, and the prayerfulness, and the weightiness of it all. And yet, here in those second-half doldrums it can be, dare I say it, irksome. I desperately needed a pick-me-up, and since a sunny vacation is not in the cards I found the next best thing – new music!

I went looking for a new praise song to support this coming Sunday’s sermon because there was nothing in our repertoire that quite fit the things I wanted it to say. So I typed my sermon title into a praise music search engine and up popped a song with the exact same name! I tentatively clicked the link, fearing it might be awful and I’d be disappointed, and instead I was completely delighted. It’s perfect! Its lyrics are spot on, it’s very singable, and its groove and tempo are uplifting yet still thoughtful – just like Lent oughta be! (If you’d like to hear the song you can click the link below – and if you’d like to sing it with us come to Sunday Night Worship at 7:15pm!)

The chorus goes like this:
                Your promise still stands, great is your faithfulness
                I’m still in your hands. This is my confidence
               You’ve never failed me yet

It’s a song about trusting in God’s promise of Presence even in the doldrums. It’s a song about the confidence of remembering all the ways God has been Present and moved in your life previously even in those times when it feels like there’s not much moving going on.

The bridge goes:
                 I’ve seen you move, come move the mountains
                And I believe I’ll see you do it again!

Do it again! (That’s the title of both sermon and song.) Lent still has a ways to go, but now I have something to sing as I continue to journey toward Jerusalem, just like they did in the Psalms (come on Sunday and I’ll explain that). There’s nothing like singing a new song to lift the spirit! Thanks be to God!

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)

Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.