Home Forums Noticings… 190410 – The Calm Before The Storm

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

April 10, 2019

I’m sitting here looking at the calendar and there it is in big, bold print: Holy Week – next week! A minute ago we were deep in the midst of Lent, complaining about how it can feel like it never ends, and now that the end is in sight I’m complaining again! Well, not complaining really – just realizing that in my vocation Holy Week is the biggest, busiest, holiest, most important time of the church year. And because it’s so important there’s an added unspoken expectation to deliver the most thoughtful, most spiritual, most theologically insightful, and best possible worship experiences for our congregations.

The trickiest part of all this is trying to be in multiple head and heart spaces at once. Today I’m thinking about the high energy celebrations that accompany Palm Sunday, the poignant and warm interconnectedness mixed with a tinge of foreboding that is Maundy Thursday, the brutality, ugliness, and seeming senselessness (that I get to try to make sense of) of Good Friday, and the glorious, heart lifting, explosion of joy and relief and promise that is Easter Sunday – all at once! My ministry experience has taught me that while the services are all being planned today, the sermons cannot be written ahead of time. For me, I can’t really begin to write about Easter Sunday until I’ve journeyed through Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. Easter doesn’t make sense without those movements.

So this week is definitely the calm before the storm. When storms are looming we do a number of things to prepare for them. We might scurry about making sure our resources are all in place. We might make some emergency plans in case something unexpected arises. We might have numerous conversations with people who will journey through the storm alongside us. We might daydream about the quiet that is promised after the storm. And depending on the nature of the storm, we might pray. I think that’s where I’ll begin today – prayer. I’ll pray for energy, clarity of thought, wisdom, openness for insights, peace of mind and heart, and especially for the grace to notice – to notice anew how this ancient story of faithfulness, commitment, betrayal, anguish, despair, hope, and joy is so powerful that it resonates through millennia and can offer resurrection and new life even to frazzled preachers on the edge of Holy Week! Help me notice!

Songs For Sunday Night

Here’s a way to make your Sunday Night Worship experience even better! Here’s a link to the songs we’ll be singing this week. Now you can listen to the songs before you come and enter into worship more fully! And if you can’t make it Sunday you can just click and listen for your own worship time. Sunday Nights at 7:15pm. (Bring a friend!)

Holy Week Worship

Maundy Thursday (Potluck) ~ April 18th @ 6:00 pm
    Good Friday ~ April 19th @ 10:30 am
    Easter Sunrise (at Ebenezer UC) ~ April 21st @ 6:45 am
    Easter Sunday (Communion) ~ April 21st @ 10:30 am
    *(NO Sunday Night Worship on Easter Sunday)*

Share!

Don’t forget to “share” this Noticings with friends via email, or Twitter, or Facebook. It’s easy! Just click one of the icons at the top the page. Spread the news! Share your Faith!
    Shalom,
    Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.