Home Forums Noticings… 201119 – 10 Seconds

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

November 18, 2020

You can feel it in the air. Something’s changed. While the calendar may say it doesn’t become winter until the middle of next month, it has arrived. The wind is different. The air is different. I even saw some fluffy white stuff yesterday and today! A few folks are here at the church while I’m writing getting the nativity figures and some decorations ready for next week. And at home someone has started to play a certain kind of music. So with all that happening I can’t help but saying, “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!” But it isn’t Christmas yet; we have to wait. And waiting in anticipation for Christmas is exactly what the liturgical season called Advent is all about. It doesn’t start for another week, but I wanted to get some things in motion now, and this is the best forum I have to reach a wide variety of people.

I love Advent because I love the anticipation and build up toward the blessings of Christmas Eve worship. Obviously (and I know we’re all getting tired of hearing this), we can’t be together through Advent or for Christmas Eve. So we’ve launched a plan to try to make the season a little cheerier.
    We’d like every person or family in our congregation to video record a 10 second “Merry Christmas from the Smith Family” video (or some similar 10 second blessing or greeting). The idea is that we’ll stitch together all these short snippets and make a video for Christmas Eve worship! (It will also be on YouTube and can be shared.) Dress up in your favourite Christmassy stuff and share a 10 second greeting. Easy!
    We’ll even come and video record you if you’re not sure about how to do this. If you need someone to come and record you, please send Stacey (office@faithunited.ca) or me (larry@faithunited.ca) a note and we’ll connect you with a volunteer who will arrange a time with you. It will only take a couple of minutes to do this, and it can be outside at your front door, safely distanced from the video person.
    The more of us we can get on camera the more fun it will be! The videos need to be completed by December 18th at the latest. Earlier would be better! That gives us a whole month to do a 10 second greeting. (Did I mention it’s just 10 seconds?)
    When you’ve finished your video upload it to this link.
    (If you’re not sure how to do all that you can email it to Stacey – office@faithunited.ca)
    I can’t wait to see all your smiling faces!
    We’re also working on plans for a very short Christmas Eve ‘in-person’ outdoor gathering. We’ll bundle up, park our cars, form a big socially distanced circle, wear our masks, and worship together for about 10-15 minutes. We’ll hear the scripture story of Jesus’ birth, pray together, and quietly sing “Silent Night” as we light candles together (not sure yet if we’ll provide or if you’ll bring). Of course, this is just a dreamy plan for now. The weather may be inhospitable and make this impossible. And if our region moves into the Covid ‘Red Zone’ we will not be able to do this.
    Like I said, it’s beginning to look (and feel) a lot like Christmas. And folks, we could all use a little Christmas right now! Blessings as you prepare to navigate this Advent season. Get ready to do your videos! And pray for good weather and lowering virus rates for Christmas Eve (and generally, of course!). Hopefully as we make these preparations our Advent time will be blessed, and for much more than just 10 seconds.

Shalom,
    Rev. Larry

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.