Home Forums Noticings… 200902 – Another Tree

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

September 2, 2020

You may remember that I have a thing for trees. I’ve written and preached many times about how spiritual trees are, and how I’ve developed relationships with various trees over the years. Well, I have a new spiritual tree in my life. It’s a towering maple, with fantastic full branches and a beautiful shape. In the wind its leaves sing out, and in the sun it provides ample shade. If you were to look up ‘gorgeous tree’ in the dictionary you’d find this tree’s picture there.

I have been spending my lunch hours praying under this tree, and then watching it while I eat. In a short time it has become special to me. This is surprising because I’ve actually been looking at this tree just about every day for almost 13 years. But somehow, I never really noticed it before. How can you see something so big so often and never notice it? Well, it was all because of the angle. A change in perspective brought a whole new awakening to something that was hiding in plain sight.

This tree I speak of is right behind the church’s upstairs living room. It’s always been there, but it has always been obscured behind the drapes, or only partially visible through the kitchen window. So what changed? The back deck of the church has been redone (it looks and feels fantastic) and the sliding door has been unlocked. I walked out onto it a few weeks ago for the first time and the tree suddenly appeared, as if it had not been there all along. Did I mention how beautiful it is?

And so I’ve been praying under that tree ever since. It has good prayers in it! It’s teaching me deep things. It’s funny how I never noticed it before, and now I can’t stop noticing it. God’s Presence is exactly like that! What might you notice if you had a change in perspective?

Shalom,
    Rev. Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.