Home Forums Noticings… 200819 – Take Your Pick

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    office
    Keymaster

Noticings…

August 19, 2020

I carry two things in my pockets every day. In one pocket is my prayer stone. I frequently hold it throughout my day as a touchstone and reminder to pray. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says “Pray without ceasing!” My pocket prayer stone is one way I do that. In my other pocket I carry a couple of guitar picks. For some reason it just makes me happy to always have a guitar pick handy. It’s a bit strange, I suppose, but you just never know when a guitar will appear and you need to play!

I’ve used the same kind of guitar pick for about 25 years. I like the shape and the thickness of my preferred plectrum. It suits me. It feels good. Lately though, I’ve been experimenting with different sizes and shapes of picks. You might be surprised how much of a difference a pick’s shape and size and thickness makes in your playing. My usual pick for picks is .60mm. That’s fairly thin and flexible, but still firm enough to be able to dig in. The latest picks I’m trying range from 1.0mm down to .50mm. I like them each for their own reason, and they each do certain things really well. I’m especially enjoying the .50mm ones. I tend to strum fairly heavily on my acoustic guitars so the thinner picks allow me to do that but not overpower the strings. That means I can still put lots of emphasis in but the overall sound will be a bit sweeter rather than louder. I can’t get over how much difference that measly .10mm makes.

I don’t want to overstate the case here, and I’m not going to say that a new guitar pick has transformed my life. But I will say that it has surprised me how much difference a tiny little change in the way I’ve always done things has resulted in such a noticeable result. I didn’t learn a fancy new skill, or reinvent the wheel, or undergo a massive reimagining of my life. I just chose to try a different sized pick and quietly noticed how big a difference a small thing could make.

What small little change in the way you’ve always done things might make you look at things a bit differently? What aspect of your life could use a little shakeup and some new perspective? What adjustment in the tools you use might help you see things in a fresh way? Sometimes just a seemingly insignificant thing can make a big difference. I’m grateful for that. I encourage you to try this for yourself. I wonder what you’ll notice?

Shalom,
    Rev. Larry
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.