Children, Youth and Young Family Leader
Faith United Church is looking to grow and expand its Christian ministry for Children, Youth and Young Families to help nurture their growing interest in spirituality, and encourage their increased involvement in church life.
The position of Children, Youth and Young Family Ministry Leader (CYYF) is a Congregational Designated Ministry (CDM) position as defined in the United Church Manual and is accountable to the Faith Council through the Faith Journey Resource Committee.
- develop and promote programs that assist children, youth and families in the growth of their Christian faith. This would include planning and executing regular gatherings and activities for children and youth of all ages with some assistance from volunteers in the congregation
- coordinate, set up and execute the Sunday School (Joyful Noise) program every Sunday morning using the Spark Curriculum, and in accordance with the Minister on a weekly basis
- coordinate, set up and execute Youth Group gatherings and activities, Movie Nights, and monthly Family Fun Nights in conjunction with the Faith Journey Resource Committee Chair and congregation volunteers
- coordinate, in conjunction with the Minister and Faith Journey Resource Committee Chair, various events according to the church calendar i.e. Advent, Christmas, Easter, Celebration Sunday etc.
Values & Beliefs:
- Understands their own faith and is able to communicate it in this role
- Interest in spiritual welfare of children, youth, and families
- Deeply committed to worshipping God and growing deeper in faith
- Personal theology that is in keeping with the ethos of the United Church of Canada, and with Faith United as an Affirming congregation
- Has a basic understanding of scripture and of its authority within the United Church
- NEOS (or similar) youth ministry training (and/or a willingness to do such training)
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent is required
- A current driving license
- A current Criminal Record Check including the Vulnerable Sector
- Efficient computer and social media skills
- Understands the responsibilities of a ministry leader regarding duty of care, confidentiality, and authority/trust
- Has the ability to draw on spiritual resources to sustain self and others
- Demonstrates knowledge and support of the justice-making policies of the United Church
- Is able to exercise basic listening and empathetic skills
- Has communication skills related to team-building and conflict resolution
- Has an understanding of youth culture and child/adolescent development, particularly faith development
- Possesses educational and leadership skills in the areas of group facilitation and program planning/implementation/evaluation
Terms of Employment:
This is a part-time 10 month contract (September – June), renewable on a yearly basis
Hours: 10 hours per week on average with 2 ½ hours every Sunday morning, and a weekly 1 hour meeting with the Minister. Some evening hours required for Movie Nights, Family Fun Nights and possibly other programs/ activities throughout the year.
Rate of pay: $18 – $20/Hour according to qualifications and experience.
Closing Date: November 7, 2019
Resumes should be emailed directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org